I am the proud owner of a small site that is getting a Bounce Rate of 75%. Spikes in traffic are driving it up to 50 unique pageviews (wow.), meaning all these new people are finding my site…then immediatly leaving. This does two things:
- Tells me something is sending traffic that is not appropriate to my content.
- Tells Google not to rank me for this content as nobody seems to like it.
The site currenlty has 3 short fiction stories, the shortest 480 words, and I know for a fact it takes longer than 57 seconds to navigate to the story and read it.
I also know this is new traffic, so all these new people are showing up, seeing the site, then immediately leaving.
- I need a hook line for each story, not the default first line of the story.
- I need use a more enticing image
- I need to convert visitors with a Call To Action
Sounds like a good plan, but I need to be careful about my expectations. What can I actually change?
- I’m not sure I can use a hook line. This may be default code setup with story.am. If I can’t change this, I may need to put a hook line in the story image itself.
- What is a more enticing image? Sex? What is the gender of my visitors? Will I offend? All these questions….
- I have the twitter handle on the front page, but it is not linkable. I would love to have a share block for social media, but I am not sure story.am will allow this.
The quest here is, quite simply, is story.am the right medium for the message, or is my message that off?